My plans had fallen through for attending this year's AFFTA Confluence out in Salt Lake City. I'm hopeful to attend next year so I can bring you my usual "from the show floor" coverage. Until then, here's the end of show press release from AFFTA.
Have a great day!
And, happy fishing!
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
AFFTA Confluence 2023: Celebrating Excellence in the Fly Fishing Industry
Salt Lake City, Utah, September 28, 2023 — The AFFTA Confluence event, held from
September 26 to 28, 2023, was a resounding success, marked by industry recognition,
outstanding product awards, and a clear vision for the future. The American Fly Fishing Trade
Association (AFFTA) proudly announces the winners of the New Product Showcase, the Far
Bank Casting Games competition winners, the Iron Fly winner, as well as the recipients of the
Lefty Kreh Industry Award and the Jim Range Conservation Award.
New Product Showcase Winners
● Men's Wader: Patagonia - River Steward Wader
● Women's Wader: Patagonia - Women's Swiftcurrent Expedition Zip-Front Waders
● Men's Wading Boot: Patagonia - Forra Wading Boots
● Women's Wading Boot: Patagonia - Forra Wading Boots
● Men's Outerwear: Orvis - Men's PRO Fishing Jacket
● Women's Outerwear: Orvis - Women's PRO Fishing Jacket
● Men's Apparel: Patagonia - Men's Tropic Comfort Natural UPF Hoody
● Women's Apparel: Patagonia - Women's Tropic Comfort Natural UPF Shirt
● Fly Rod - Freshwater: Redington - Wrangler Rod Family
● Fly Rod - Saltwater: Sage - Salt R8
● Fly Rod - Two Hand/Spey: Scott - Swing
● Fly Reel - Freshwater: Sage - Arbr XL Tempest Blue
● Fly Reel - Saltwater: Sage - Enforcer
● Fly Line - Freshwater: Scientific Angler - Amplitude Smooth Infinity Plus
● Fly Line - Saltwater: Scientific Angler - Amplitude Smooth Bonefish Plus
● Leader/Tippet: Airflo USA - Airflo Standard Fluorocarbon 50m
● Hooks: Daiichi (Ranger Outdoors) - 1719-10- Matte Black Barbless
● Chest Pack/Vest: Simms Fishing Products - Flyweight Vest Pack
● Boxes/Storage System: C&F Design NA (Ranger Outdoors) - 16 - Grand Slam Guide
● Fly Pattern - Freshwater: RIO Products - RIO's Morrish Level Headed Damsel
● Fly Pattern - Saltwater: RIO Products - RIO's Webster Crouser
● Fly Tying Vices & Tools: Dyna King - Barracuda Deluxe
● Fly Tying Materials: Semperfli - EggStatic Egg Fly Tying Collections
● Eco Friendly Gear: Rio Products - RIO Compostable Spool
● Bags and Packs: Grundens - Grundens Wayward Roll Top Backpack 38L
● Youth Product: Simms Fishing Products - Kid's Tributary Wader
● Accessory: Dr. Slick Company - Cyclone Nipper
● Gift Items: RepYourWater - Rainbow Snacks Lowball Glass
New Product Showcase “Best of Show” winner: Patagonia - River Steward Wader
These New Product Showcase winners represent the pinnacle of innovation and quality in the
fly fishing industry, showcasing exceptional products that stood out at AFFTA Confluence 2023.
In addition to the Best of Show awards, AFFTA proudly acknowledges the remarkable
individuals who have made significant contributions to the fly fishing community:
Lefty Kreh Industry Award Winner: Tom Rosenbauer
Tom Rosenbauer's dedication to the industry and his passion for fly fishing have left an indelible
mark. As the recipient of the Lefty Kreh Industry Award, Tom's tireless efforts and commitment
to educating and inspiring fly anglers have enriched the sport and nurtured the next generation
Jim Range Conservation Award Winner: Steve Moyer
Steve Moyer's outstanding conservation work and advocacy for our natural resources have
earned him the Jim Range Conservation Award. His dedication to protecting our waters,
fisheries, and ecosystems is a testament to his unwavering commitment to conservation and
Far Bank Casting Games Competition Winners:
Nick Treynor: Score of 498
Heidi Lewis: Score of 331
Iron Fly Winner: Brita Fordice
AFFTA's Executive Director, Lucas Bissett, shared their thoughts on the event: "AFFTA's 2023
Confluence not only had a new name but also had a sense of new beginnings. As we look to the
future of our industry, we aim to reimagine our gatherings. This year's trade event was
meaningful and was packed with educational seminars, DEI discussions, policy roundtable
discussions, and the TrackFly State of the Industry Report."
"We will build off the successes of this show and forge an event in 2024 that represents the
needs of our membership and achieves the goal of giving our industry the competitive
advantage it needs to expand to new heights. Stay tuned for an industry gathering survey
coming out in the immediate future."
AFFTA Confluence 2023 celebrated the excellence and dedication of the fly fishing community,
setting the stage for an exciting future in the industry.
For media inquiries, please contact:
The American Fly Fishing Trade Association (AFFTA) is a community of fly fishing businesses
joined together under one banner. That community makes up a powerful trade association. This
trade association represents, fights for and unifies our industry around the values and ethos
found within those who make up the industry. Without this type of representation, the fly fishing
industry would not have the power, voice or recognition it currently does, everywhere from
Washington, D.C., down to the smallest fisheries in the country. The AFFTA community and
banner provide strength, advocacy, conservation and innovation. AFFTA’s mission is to guide
the sustainable growth of the fly fishing industry through Trade Development and Stewardship.
AFFTA has a sister organization that focuses solely on stewardship/conversation and acts as
the small grants arm of the fly fishing industry. If you want to help fund these vital boots on the
ground projects, donate today to the AFFTA Fisheries Fund.